What is a gastric sleeve procedure and how can it help me lose weight?
Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical procedure that induces weight loss by restricting food intake. With this procedure, which is usually performed laparoscopically, the surgeon removes approximately 75 percent of the stomach. This results in the stomach taking on the shape of a tube or "sleeve" which holds much less food.
Statistically the reported weight loss for this procedure ranges from 60% of the excess weight; better results are obtained with good adherence to dietary and behaviorial guidelines. With smart food choices, regular exercise and good eating habits, patients who have had a sleeve gastrectomy will enjoy and maintain good weight loss.
What can I expect from a gastric sleeve procedure?
- Weight-loss surgery isn’t advised for people who abuse medicines or alcohol, or who are not able to commit to a lifelong change in diet and exercise habits.
- You are likely to need different tests to make sure that gastric sleeve surgery is right for you.
- You will have general anesthesia for your surgery. This will cause you to sleep through the surgery. Your surgeon will use laparoscopy. He or she will make several small cuts (incisions) in your upper abdomen. The surgeon will then insert a laparoscope and put small surgery tools into these incisions.
- The majority of people leave go home the same day after recovering from sedation.
- After surgery, your stomach will hold only about a tenth of what it did before.
- Unlike the adjustable gastric band and the gastric bypass, the sleeve gastrectomy is a permanent procedure – it cannot be reversed.
- Induces rapid and effective weight lose
- Hormonal changes after the procedure help patients to feel sated, eat less, as well as improve or resolve diabetes.
- Patients recover quickly because the surgical incisions are tiny.
- Less risk of vitamin deficiencies post-surgery
- No foreign objects implanted in the body
How much does a gastric sleeve procedure cost?
The gastric sleeve procedure costs $10,000. Please contact our San Diego office to learn more.
Am I qualified for a gastric sleeve weight loss procedure?
Gastric sleeve surgery is used to treat severe obesity. It is often an option for people who aren't candidates for other bariatric surgeries. The procedure is available to people whose body mass index (BMI) is above 30 who have tried other weight loss methods without long-term success.
But endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty isn't for everyone who is overweight. A screening process helps doctors see if the procedure might be beneficial for you. And you must be willing to commit to healthy lifestyle changes, regular medical follow-up and participate in behavioral therapy.